Smith Bateson – over 200 years of packaging expertise
- Smith Bateson was first established in 1801 as a paper mill near Preston by William Bateson, with William Smith joining as a partner some ninety years later.
- A move to a purpose built four-storey warehouse in Pitt Street, Liverpool just before the First World War was the first of many planned expansions.
- The Liverpool warehouse became known as ‘Stronghold House’ due to its resilience during the Blitz of the 1940s, becoming the only building left standing in the area.
- To this day our premises have retained this title and the Stronghold brand covers a wide range of Smith Bateson products.
- A move to a larger Liverpool warehouse in 1970 was necessary in order to provide a wider range of products, and as a result of sourcing more products globally.
- Our fourth distribution centre, built in 2001 and at 100,000 sq. feet, is one of the largest of its kind in the UK and enables us to provide a state of the art stock and logistics service using our own transport fleet.
- Our heritage and experience is unrivalled but we will continue to ensure that Smith Bateson maintains its commitment to client service to meet the ever more vigorous demands of the market.